I know you like to browse some good whippers, I do at least. I put together a top 20 climbing huge whippers from different sources like Instagram, Youtube and Vimeo. When I collected these links, I had two rules:
A) Must include a decent fall or ‘whoops’ moment
B) No serious accidents, i.e. as you can see in some of these clips of huge whippers climbers bang arms or feet, etc., but I tried to not include videos where it was obvious that the person got hurt badly. Some videos probably caused a sprained ankle or bruises and cuts thought. But thats part of climbing and bouldering.
C) The clips are not in order, which means they are not rated by the length of the fall or something like that. Just the order I found them in.
1. Chris Sharmas Epic Whipper
Oldie but goldie!
2. Lead Climbing Whipper at Clear Creek Canyon Wearing a GoPro
Good that this climber had his action cam on, makes for a cool perspective!
3. Sick Slowmo Whipper
View this post on Instagram
How do you face your fear of falling when climbing? 😱 @mono.climbing ▪︎ ▪︎ 🧗♂️ @glacialpace 📸 @diermot ▪︎ ▪︎ 💞Follow @mono.climbing 💞Follow @mono.climbing 💞Follow @mono.climbing ▪︎ ▪︎ Use #mono_climbing for a possible feature. ▪︎ ▪︎ #climbing #climb #crag #rockclimbing #bouldering #sportclimbing #trad #tradclimbing #tradisrad #whipper #firstascent #bigwall #climbinglife #climbing_pictures_of_instagram #climbinggear #hiking #adventure #timetoclimb #climbing_is_my_passion #doyouclimb #liveclimbrepeat #climbinginspiration #climbingworldwide #klatring #climbingphotography #climbingrocks
4. Ethan Pringle on Jumbo Love Whipper
5. Smith Rock State Park Whipper – Grounder
This one sucks. Thanks that he didn’t injure himself more, at least he looks okay. Original here.
6. 40+ foot whipper at Escalante on Trad Gear
Wow, this one is high. Thankfully his belayer catched it!
7. Eagle Falls in Upstate New York – Trad Climbing Whipper
This happens when a cam placed does not hold. Probably due to wet conditions. Thanks to the good belayer and a fixed bolt beneath him this ended well! What a fall though…
8. 60+ Foot Whipper on Castleton Tower (trad climbing).
Gear held up…
Calling all climbers – send us your whipper videos!
Posted by Rock and Ice magazine on Thursday, August 24, 2017
9. Austrian Crag Whipper
Not bad for a typical day at the crag!
10. Insanely huge climbing gym whipper
Whether this was intentional or not, this whipper is crazy. The climber must have left some clips out and got tangled in the rope too…
11. Trad Climbing Whipper at Joshua Tree (Route: Heart of Darkness)
If you don’t know it, trad climbing or traditional climbing has no drilled fixed bolts but you lay all the safety gear yourself. Can be dicey when you take a fall! This climber was alright except for some bruises.
12. Nasty Whipper on Wonderbar 10d at the Pub Wall With an Upside Down Flip
Thankfully the climber was OK, because he wore a helmet. But the flip at the end shows you how NOT TO fall.
13. Large Whipper with 10ft+ Fall taken on Johnny B Good at The Gallery in Red River Gorge
Nice flip at at the end!
14. Aid Climbing Fall On the lost Arrow Spire
This is how falling looks like when you do aid climbing. The gear slowly looses its hold until it all of a sudden ends in a good fall. Aid climbing means you use gear to help you ascent a route, if you don’t know already.
15. Slab slipper on Peak Technique, near Bowden, Northumberland, UK
Wow, why not top rope this piece of slab? That’s quite a fall and he was lucky to walk away from it.
16. Big Fall that Almost Lifts the Belayer on Tanuki, Japan
The Belayer is almost as high up as the climber!
17. Matt Reeser falls off Desdichado, a 5.13+ in Eldorado Canyon
Kind of a sideways whipper! He actually sent that route one month before.
18. Ben Griffin Takes a High Fall at The End of Sweatpants in Public (5.13c), Cascade Canyon, Colorado
He actually fell headfirst into the cliff and needed staples to close the wound on his head afterward. But he came back and sent the route later! “I decided to skip the last bolt, which I did many times in practicing the route, but the rope got stuck around my leg and knee pad and was unable to release the rope. It really sucked.” he told Rock and Ice later.
19. Boulder Pad Miss – Sprained Ankle
20. Huge Victory Whip Off Omaha Beach 5.14a
Oh man, this is a huge whipper from the top of the route!
If you liked these clips and climbing, make sure to read some of my other posts like the best climbing and bouldering shoes of 2020 and my guide to building a quick and easy DIY hangboard setup for your apartment without drilling walls.